Friday, June 14, 2013

Helen Mirren Reigns Again as the Queen in “The Audience”


God Save NT Live!  My high school classmate Lesley and I went last night to see the simulcast of London’s National Theatre production of The Audience in which Helen Mirren reprises her role as Queen Elizabeth II.  Only this time, instead of just imagining her meetings with Tony Blair as he did in the movie “The Queen,” playwright Peter Morgan has invented a collection of the monarch's weekly briefings with the 11 other prime ministers who have served over the six decades since Elizabeth took the throne in 1952.  

I was so eager to see this show that I seriously considered making a trip to London this spring but, luckily for me and my budget, I heard that the National was going to simulcast the show as part of its NT Live series, which screens simulcasts of select London productions to movie theaters in cities around the world.   

So I immediately bought tickets to see the presentation of The Audience at New York University’s Skirball Center. And so did a whole bunch of other theater lovers.  I ran into my friend Ann, who grew up in London; and my theatergoing buddy Bill and his friend Ronnie.  I also spotted the Broadway producer Elizabeth McCann, who, although walking slowly and with a cane, had made her way downtown too.

I don’t yet know what the others thought but Lesley and I had a great time, even though we  clearly knew less about the prime ministers than the on-screen audience at the Gielgud Theatre, who roared at lines, mannerisms and intonations which must have deftly identified each of their former leaders. 

But director Stephen Daldry has put together a characteristically smart production, the performances are all crackerjack, Mirren has expanded her empathy for the queen (click here to read an interviewwith the actress) and a brief interview right before the meatier second act between Morgan and British journalist Emma Freud added some great perspective.

It all adds up to an affectionate—and entertaining—tribute to the flesh-and-blood woman behind the royal image. My only complaint is that the cameras failed to show us Mirren’s onstage costume and wig changes, which reviews said played such a delightful part in the show.  

The production plays its final performance this weekend and although there are rumors that it might come to New York, nothing has yet been announced.  But encores of the simulcast have already been scheduled and you can find out where and when they’re happening by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment